JERSEY DETECTING SOCIETY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another new member...

3 posters

Go down

Another new member... Empty Another new member...

Post  Bully Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi all, not got a detector yet....but will be very soon.

My main interest is the Occupation and fortifications, so these will be the first places I detect. Looking for anything related to be honest.

My main question is what type of detector to get for this? I have about £350 ish to spend.

Cheers

Bully

Bully

Back to top Go down

Another new member... Empty Re: Another new member...

Post  ken Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:39 pm

I'd go for a minelab xterra 305 or xterra 505 if you can afford it, but you will have to order it in and should get the VAToff the list price.
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Another new member... Empty hi Bully welcome

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

you wont be able to detect old bunkers etc
unless they are on private land with owners permission and are not SSI
sites, you may discover an unknown ones in fields
best ragards and hope you enjoy the site here
Rob T admin

JDSS-SiteAdmin-1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bully Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Cheers for the quick replies! You are the 3-4th person to recommend the xterra. Any recommended suppliers?

Hi Rob, yep aware of SSI restrictions. I have quite a few contacts and landowners with fortifications on their land so those will be my main target.

With regards to finding new bunkers etc in fields.....will the detector pick them up?? (stupid question maybe) if so what will it pick up?

Bully

Back to top Go down

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 am

hi bully,
the detector will indicate large objects like the doors and reinfoced steel in the concrete
also most had a metal ventilation system so the duct will be near the surface
im also a member of the Occupation Society and advise extream caution if entering private ones
as they are rotting away and may contain hazardus stuff like ammo or gasses like the one in Grand Vaux .

JDSS-SiteAdmin-1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bully Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 am

Cheers for the info Rob, when I meant fortifications I didn't mean HO4 or HO2 ;-) Ho10 and 13 under Beaumont are especially dangerous and Mr Liron the owner of HO2 has sent a clear message out with the installation of cameras and closing the entrance up.

I too am member of the CIOS and also Unseen Jersey, my interest lays in the East fortifications mainly. However a friend of mine owns a nice 2 bunker complex (Obs) at St Ouens, it had a nice trench or two up there which are all overgrown. I figured this would be a good place to start when the bracken dies down to see if any bits and pieces are buried.

Just trying to find a UK supplier who will knock off VAT on a 305, Evergreen were the cheapest but refused to knock off VAT?? Strange but I will take my business elsewhere.....they said to claim it back.

Cheers

Bully

Back to top Go down

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:39 am

cheers Bully,
I dident realise you were local as ur ip addy is coming up middle of uk
well you prob know more than i do abt whats underground
best regards Rob.

JDSS-SiteAdmin-1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bully Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 pm

No worries rob, damn internet eh? I am with Sure so maybe thats why.

Anyone else got a supplier they use?

Bully

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Try telephoning Regton's or Joan Allen, (or look on ebay,) Regtons will usually look after you! but I'd go for the 505 if you can afford it, its got better depth etc list price is around £460 so 20% off that brings it to £368 its always worth haggling a little and the xterra's are light and responsive,easy on batteries, and you can pack them up into a small haversack for travelling, the 705 is a top detector. Cool

I use the Explorer 11 and the SE but they are well out of your price range and bloody heavy after an hours use. also have a XP goldmax power but it is not so deep and it is harder to differenciate between good and bad signels with it. even discounted also around 750 quid Shocked
Its also best to keep Stuart Elliots phone number on your phone if your going to detect the war sites. Embarassed
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down