JERSEY DETECTING SOCIETY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Third Reich Coin

5 posters

Go down

Third Reich Coin Empty Third Reich Coin

Post  Nederlander Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Was out today at an undisclosed location and had over an hour of nothingness. Was getting ready to call it a day when I got a pretty constant hit for 'silver'.
Dug down couldnt see anything so ran the coil over the spoil heap and it shows silver again.
Gets down and sifts through it with my hands and finds a small coin....with German Eagle clutching Swastika Shocked
It has 1941 Deutsche Reiche written on one side and a large 1 and something I cant make out on the other.
A one Deutschmark I assume.
Absolutely astonished when I found it...definately the best find thus far!

Anybody found anything similar on the island?

Also what would be the best way to clean it up a bit?

Was thinking Cillit Bang Very Happy

Nederlander

Back to top Go down

Third Reich Coin Empty Re: Third Reich Coin

Post  davey Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Well done on your find, now for cleaning-get some tin foil and spit on it then gently rub the coin in the spit Smile

davey

Back to top Go down

Post  Nederlander Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Cheers mate, Im well chuffed to be honest Rolling Eyes

I was reading on a coin collecting forum that a good way to clean coins of encrustation is to put them in a plastic tub of boiling water which has the bottom lined with tin foil and then to add Washing Soda....an electrochemical reaction takes place between the aluminium and you end up with a clena coin......maybe the same idea as the spit and tinfoil ???

Can u tell me is it quite a 'normal' find on the island German coins ?

Nederlander

Back to top Go down

Post  i-dig Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:36 pm

German coins do come up, also Russian and Napoleon... but will depend on areas your detecting;
beach finds are mainly French and English, but also some German; Russian and Napoleon tend to
come from fields, but at the end of the day, it's down to research and a bit of luck. pirat
i-dig
i-dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Nederlander Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 am

Russian and Napleonic...very interesting.....
I have to say the main reason I bought a detector was after moving to Jersey I really fancied the idea of discovering German war stuff...I mean coming from Scotland we dont tend to find that kind of stuff sadly Very Happy

I was just gifted some serious amounts of land in the Rozel, Fliquet,Trinity area this evening through a friend so I am really going to be going at it hammer and tongs the next few weeks Shocked

I suspect a NEW detector isnt very far away as despite how impressed I am with the Garrett its obviously an entry level machine which makes me think what can a top end machine do????

Wish me luck Very Happy

Nederlander

Back to top Go down

Post  i-dig Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 pm

I would think your present detector is good enough, for most land use in Jersey; depending on the model, it might not do well beach detecting; anyway, good hunting. Wink
i-dig
i-dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Hello all , how are tricks? I hope all is well! Smile

Nederlander wrote:I was reading on a coin collecting forum that a good way to clean coins of encrustation is to put them in a plastic tub of boiling water which has the bottom lined with tin foil and then to add Washing Soda....an electrochemical reaction takes place between the aluminium and you end up with a clena coin......maybe the same idea as the spit and tinfoil ???

I have some experience with this one , it is a chemical reaction , employing 'reverse electrolysis'.
What this process does is convert 'silver sulphide' (silver tarnish) back to 'elemental silver'.
If you use a small current (>3.5v , too much more and you risk making your silver object going black , and looking even worse that it started) , you can see the process happen in an instant , and is quiet a spectacle to behold!
Table Salt (Sodium Chloride ~ NaCl) dissolved in warm water works just aswell as an electrolyte solution for this process as Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate ~ NaCHO3) does.
Although there is plenty of info regarding this online , this is from memory , so I hope it serves me well!
Congratulations on your awsome find! Cool
All the best for now , and kind regards ,
Chris Smile
Kuma
Kuma

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 pm

We do find quite a lot of german coins, but most are too degraded to be worth keeping as the aluminium they were made of doesnt seem to have liked our farm fertilisers.
last year I had a good coin find here from Danzig, must of been a german soldiers pocket change, quite good condition as well, possibly some of the spanish coins came here in german pockets as well. Very Happy
If you want german army finds St Aubin beach is pretty good for rifle rounds and ammo clips also for civil war musket balls and buttons. Wink
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma Thu May 24, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Ken , how are tricks?
I hope your well! Smile
I've not heard of things like that being found on St. Aubins bay before , it's not supprising to hear that you can find German rifle rounds , but ammo clips would be something else cool for the shelf too.
I also like the idea of digging up civil war buttons and musket rounds , I guess there's more history buried around here than I had initaly thought!
I need to read up on local historic events and places so I can get an idea of where to start looking , and I deffinatly need to make friends with some farmers and other landowners! Cool
Hopefully I can meet Dave today or tommorow to buy his Sov. from him (slowly picking up the 'lingo!) , so I can get my feet wet soon! Very Happy
All the very best for now Chief , and with kind regards ,
Chris
Kuma
Kuma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down