JERSEY DETECTING SOCIETY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Detecting

3 posters

Go down

New to Detecting Empty New to Detecting

Post  Nederlander Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi all,

Fairly new to the island and a total novice to detecting Very Happy

My missus bought me a Garrett Ace250 for my Christmas and I'm having a couple of issues setting it up and understanding how it works.

Had it out in my garden the other day and was on St Ouens beach with it today but not having much success.

Also what is the situatin with detecting on the beach? I understand that I need a permit or something?

Any advice appreciated.

Nederlander

Back to top Go down

New to Detecting Empty Re: New to Detecting

Post  davey Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Welcome to the site, you've got a good machine there according to my son-inlaw who own's one as well, as for beaches I only do St. Brelade now and again I much prefer inland detecting.

davey

Back to top Go down

Post  davey Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Have a look on youtube for setting up your detector.

davey

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 pm

No permit needed, but anything modern of value found should be reported to the police by law, it is usually treated as lost property and after two or three months becomes yours. legally anything made of precious metal and of antiquity found is the property of the crown, but if you report finds to Olga at the museum you should get it back to keep, unless it is really special in which case they will ask to loan it, or for you to gift it to the societte collection etc.
ask Rob the site admin if you have any other questions or come to our next meeting, it is informal and we usually just look at finds made during the month since the last meet, ocasionally we have some serious business but not often, we just enjoy a couple of pints and discuss finds. Very Happy Very Happy
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Nederlander Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Cheers for the advice chaps......

I reckon I really need to spend time with it out in the field so I can get a feel for how the different descrim modes work and how it detects stuff....the Garrett video says you need to spend around 100 hours on it before you really get the hang of it Shocked

Had it out on St Ouens beach the other day and found a pound coin, an old 5 pence piece (1970's) and Nissan car key amongst loads of other junk. Unfortunately I'm digging every target at the moment until I get the hang of it Very Happy

I would really have liked to come along to your next meeting but unfortunately I'm away to Gibraltar to work for a few weeks so won't be here on the 2nd Feb.

Perhaps next time.

Nederlander

Back to top Go down

New to Detecting Empty Back In Jersey

Post  Nederlander Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi all,

Been back a few weeks now and been out with my detector. Seem to be getting the hang of it now as starting to get some interesting stuff.

Found a stash (56!!!) of fired 5.56mm NATO casings looks like from a SA80 or LSW manufactured date is 2005...dont if the cadets or TA here in Jersey were using this bit of land for practise but certainly the landowner has no idea how they came to be here.

I've also been given a really interesting bit of land to check out which has a bunker on the bottom of it as far as I know its not been researched and defo not on any maps Laughing
Had wee scoot round it the other day and with 20 mins found 2 brass casings looks like 7.92mm Mauser rounds so could be a good site.
Had to pack up as it started raining and havent got the cover for the control unit yet!!!

Should be here in May so intend to pop along and so hello.

Where would the best beaches be to look for old (French) coins??? I was thinking of maybe trying Havre Des Pas/ Greve D'Azzette as thats where the shipyards used to be right?
Any other hints or pointers appreciated !!!

Nederlander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down