JERSEY DETECTING SOCIETY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do i resrch a field ?

2 posters

Go down

How do i resrch a field ?  Empty How do i resrch a field ?

Post  Jonathan Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 pm

How would i research a field ? I know the field Number and a few things are key around the Field. There is a barn dated 1857 across the road which is more or less inline with an old enterance which has two red brick pillars with cement balls on the top. The Barn has a huge white door and above has the date on a stone arch type thing. The field has also got quiet a few oak trees running around the edge. I've had a range of finds, some quiet good ones aswell but i would like to know how to research the field. I can't see any crop marks. Im hoping that the farmer will hurry up and plough the field, as all i've had this year is: a brass button, a knob of a piece of furniture and some scrap iron.

Regards,

Jonathan Smile
Jonathan
Jonathan

Back to top Go down

How do i resrch a field ?  Empty Re: How do i resrch a field ?

Post  ken Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:33 am

I would have a look at the libary they have a good local referance section upstairs, look in the parish book if there is one for that parish, look for anything of note happening in that field or the adjacent area etc, also there is a book of field names, the name of the field can be very enlightening, not the number which is meaningless except as a referance, the field could be called 'le champ de moulin' (the mill field) what ever it is the name can be a good clue. also the names of the surrounding houses or farmhouses can be a good pointer. Very Happy
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Ahhh okay, thanks Ken. Well i know the road name is La Rue De La Croix, so i'll check it out in the Library Smile I think the Guest House which is next to the barn might of been a farm house or must be connected to the barn as the Guest House is roughly around the same date as the Barn. I just re-checked the barn and the date is '1877' I've found a thimble which may have been something to do with the farming side, still dont know why there would be a thimble in a field, well the obvious answer would be it could be medieval and there good be a medieval structure of settlement type thing but doubt it Smile
Jonathan
Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

La rue de la croix means there was a roadside cross on the road somewhere,(the road of the cross) Exclamation thimbles were used to repair the potato sacks which were used before potato boxes. cyclops
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:58 pm

ahhh i see Smile so like a cross road type thing ? oops my mistake the field number is 695. I wonder if i could get permission to detect around the old Forge Works at St. Ouens, might bring up some interesting finds, but probably a lot of scrap iron aswell, worth a shot ? Very Happy Think i'll poke around Elizabeth Castle to see if i can find any Millitary Buttons or Buckles etc on the weekend, or even La Rocco Tower could be a good place ?
Jonathan
Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:31 am

No not a cross roads Shocked ,the site of a religious roadside cross,often at the cross road though, the people walking would say a prayer at each cross they passed, some offered little offerings, flowers, food etc for the spirits of deceased family etc, or to god, some crosses were set up to comemerate a spot where somebody had died, or to comemerate a miricle or prayer answered, or as a offering to god to get in the good books in case they were headed to hell. all in all a roadside cross would be a great Cool spot to find coins etc. Laughing
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:13 am

ohh right Smile i didn't know that :O sounds interesting, do you know what century that road crosses where usually used ? Smile Think i'll be going detecting today, supposed to be nice and sunny this afternoon, still bloody cold though.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:40 pm

they can be very old, Like a Star @ heaven they started being put up when christianity took over from pagenism in europe, I have not heard of any older than 1000 years old but that should be good enough for you Cool
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 pm

ahhh great ! Very Happy Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jonathan
Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down