JERSEY DETECTING SOCIETY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris is in the game!

3 posters

Go down

Chris is in the game!  Empty Chris is in the game!

Post  Kuma Thu May 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Hello all , how are things?
I hope all is well!
I just wanted to publicly brag and say that thanks (huge-mega-thanks!) to Dave(y) , I am now the proud owner of a Minelab Sovereign GT! cheers Very Happy
It's going to take some learning and some getting used to , but I'm well up for the challenge! Cool
Also , I have a pilots headset that I have altered slightly , and they seem to work brilliantly as headphones with the detector , so game on!
I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the beach (I'd be there now , but Gem's gone out and I have the kids with me , boohoo! No ) , but for now , some more homework on the different settings and playing about with it at home with some coins , foil , and some other bits. Wink
Again , many thanks to you Dave!
All the very best , and with my kind regards ,
Chris Very Happy
Kuma
Kuma

Back to top Go down

Chris is in the game!  Empty Re: Chris is in the game!

Post  i-dig Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 pm

This is a good detector for beach and field use, so should provide good finds for you.
i-dig
i-dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma Tue May 29, 2012 10:00 am

Hello I-Dig and everyone , how are tricks?
I hope your all well! Smile
I finaly managed to get out to West Park to try out the detector lastnight , and I must say it was a pleasure to use! Cool
It did kind of start to get a little heavy after a couple of hours , but it turned out after I swapped arms later on that it's just as comfy to hold and swing with my right arm as it is with my left , it was my first time with it so I'm sure I'll get better used to swinging it about it after a few outings , so all is good.
We dug up five ring-pulls (one was the old type from Pep*i cans and the like which was kind of nostalgic) , an aluminium bottle top , a random twisted piece of thin aluminium (I assume part of a beer can) , a kind of metalic-beady-ladies-handbag-tassle-type-thing , and a small engine piston , so no Spanish treasure just yet Laughing
We had one target that seemed to completly vanish about eight inches down , which on reading on the net after returning home could have perhaps been down to something like a rusty nail with a 'halo' , or simply a very corroded rusty piece that was simply destroyed by digging , causing the target to disappear , although we saw no signs of iron-oxide in the sand.
We also had another target that we dug down about twenty inches or more for over the course of about a quarter hour , digging through rocks and gravel as we got deeper into the sand , but although the signal was getting stronger and louder as we dug deeper , this target just kept 'moving'.
This is when I started to ask myself just how deep do you dig and how long do you dig for through all of this before it's just getting silly , and this is also the point in time that I understood the wisdom of employing a pinpointer probe.
Needless to say , by this point we were both begining to get a little peckish and thirsty , so we filled in the hole , went for a swift one in the Old England , then popped home for tea.
We didn't get to hunt the towel line due to there still being people on the beach fairly late in the evening enjoying the sunset , but that's an adventure for another day.
Lastnight was productive for me either way you look at it , if you don't know what questions to ask yourself , you stand no chance of finding the awnsers.
Some more time using the detector , some more reading and reasearch on the net , and before too long we'll be doing just fine.
Many thanks all , and with my kind regards ,
Chris Very Happy
Kuma
Kuma

Back to top Go down

Post  i-dig Tue May 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Ah yes the halo thing... these targets can be any metal with a remaining residue, until disturbed... in my experience, it's mostly led/pewter items.

At West Park there's been a lot of 17th century boat building, towards the Victorian pool area; here wrecks have flounded within the bay and the related rocks near the pool; if you were detecting around this area, the chances are the halo target you had was likely a pewter plate, or other receptacle from a wreck, even from the boat building activity. pirat

Although you will dig-up a far amount of aluminum-foil the pull-tabs, tops-bottoms too; also old milk-tops from the bottles, that seem to still be in pristine condition after all these years. However the milk tops lay for some reason, along the line where the sand has sloped down, to where it flats out down to the sea; but can shift around after storm tides.

As you look across the beach, the line runs along the bay, detecting a metre or more above this line can be target interesting. Best time is after a real good storm, once the sand has come down from the top beach, to work this area at much lower levels.
i-dig
i-dig

Back to top Go down

Post  davey Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm

With the sov be prepared to dig deep in wet sand some times it's worth it, just be careful of bombs Laughing after a storm a few years ago I found lots of sixpences around West Park area probably from when there was Donkey rides there and in the black sand area's you will pull old coins up in very good nick, anyway have fun and buy a big spade Laughing

davey

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Dave , how are things? I hope your well! Smile
I deffinatly hear you on the need to dig deep , I've dug holes that are way deeper than I thought I would have to , but 9/10 I have been finding the target! Laughing
Daniels got himself one of those folding spades so thats made life much easier!
I've found a small colection of coins , they're just old two pences and twenty pences and the like , aswell as an old ring (image in main gallery) , so that's filled me with some confidence that I'm doing something right so far.
I'm off out after to try to find out who owns the fields up the road from us , so hopefully if that goes well we can have a go on soil.
I'll keep you posted! Cool
All the best for now , and with my kind regards ,
Chris Smile

Last edited by Kuma on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Notify of new image in the main gallery.)
Kuma
Kuma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down